Invite to participate in
People Make Places: Shanghai
We would like to invite you to help us create a portrait of Shanghai. How? By creating something inside the matchbox we gave you. Please read the following instructions. Matchbox works created in line with the below will travel with us locally and abroad to introduce Shanghai through the eyes of her residents.
1. Create something responding to the theme “Shanghai”
It can be anything that represents your own (experience of) Shanghai, from an image to an object, a piece of writing, something made or something found...as long as it fits inside the Match Box Projects box we gave you and conforms to the following:
• Format of your work must be landscape/horizontal (not portrait) - boxes will be displayed on its side - upright like a frame
• Materials used must be safe to travel internationally eg no liquid, sharp objects, food, flora, fauna etc (nothing that cannot go through airport customs)
• Nothing can be loose inside the box - eg if an object, it must be firmly stuck inside the box.
• Please do not colour or create anything on the outside of the box - Only the inside of the box will be viewed - outside walls/back of the box will not
• Please do not include small fragments that tend to become unglued eg no glitter.
• Work will be exhibited behind a frame, do not include anything that needs to be unfolded, sticking out of box etc
• Your work will be viewed in public spaces and must be be appropriate for all ages to view
2. On the back of the box write your:
• Full Name
• Mobile phone number (if no mobile, home phone no)
• E-mail address
• Short Message about what you have created
• Where and when you recieved your matchbox
NB: please provide us with contact e-mails/mobile numbers you expect to have for at least a couple of years. See instruction 4.
3. Please deliver your Match Box to us between 21-23 September to:
ShiftStation@The Cool Docks, No.505 South Zhongshan Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai (just behand the
Tues 21 –Wed 22 Sept 10am-6pm Thursday 23 Sept 10am - 11pm
(if you can not make these times, please e-mail or phone us.)
Shift is next to the big blue statue of the Expo Shanghai Mascot "Halbou" which can be seen from the road side. Map to venue is below:
View Larger Map
Once delivered, your work becomes a permanent contribution to our portrait series as part of People Make Places. We will travel with it to other cities to introduce Sydney through the eyes of her residents. Please note by including your work in our project, you assign copyright of same onto us (Leanne & Naomi Shedlezki aka Match Box Projects), which automatically permits us to exhibit, photograph, video, publish and present your work in public/private exhibitions, in press, in print, in video/multimedia works/catalogues, on our website/blog etc.
5. bARTer/ Exchange Gift
Please keep the cover of the box, and (if received) ticket stub, in a safe place. On completion of our Portrait Series we will contact you to present you with a souvenir to place inside your original cover - as an exchange/bARTer for your work.
6. If you have any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
NB For those that have friends/family that would like to take part, please let them know this project is only open to the people we personally meet. They are welcome to meet us and pick up a Match Box Projects matchbox from us at Cool Docks on 21 September if they would like to contribute to our Shanghai Portrait.
Please join us to celebrate our Shanghai Portrait at Shift on Thursday 23rd September 6pm-11pm at Shift, Cool Docks (map above)
We are looking forward to receiving your matchbox and seeing you soon.
Leanne Shedlezki and Naomi Shedlezki (Match Box Projects)
PO Box 880
NSW 1355 Australia