MATCH BOX INSTRUCTIONS FOR PEOPLE MAKE PLACES
We warmly invite you to join our journey by creating something responding to your region in one of our Match Box Projects boxes. It can be anything that represents your own (experience of) your City, from an image to an object, a piece of writing, something made or something found…as long as it fits inside the box.
Please read the following instructions. Works created in line with the below will travel with us to introduce your locality through the eyes and hearts of those in your region.
We are currently in Sydney.
1. Create something responding to the theme “My City” inside the Match Box Projects Box we gave you (if you haven’t received one you are welcome to meet us in your city at our Pop Up delivery points - location details will be uploaded to our blog)
See above image.
• Boxes will be displayed horizontally, on its side, like a frame. Format of your work must be landscape (not portrait)
• Materials used must be safe to travel internationally eg no liquid, sharp objects, food, flora, fauna etc (nothing that cannot go through airport customs)
• Nothing can be loose inside the box - eg if an object, it must be firmly stuck inside the box.
• Only the inside of the box will be viewed (outside walls/back of the box will not - please do not colour or create anything on the outside of the box)
• Please do not include small fragments that tend to become unglued eg glitter.
• Work will be exhibited behind a frame, do not include anything that needs to be unfolded, sticking out of box etc
• Your work will be viewed in public spaces and must be be appropriate for all ages to view.
2. On the back of the box write your:
• Full Name
• Mobile phone number (if no mobile, home phone no)
• E-mail address
• Short Message about what you have created
• Where & when you received your box (if we hadn’t done so already)
NB: please provide us with contact e-mails/mobile numbers you expect to have for at least 5 years. See 6
3. Current Delivery Points.
Contact us via e-mail or 0410 331 600 when you have finished your matchbox or would like to pick one up.
We will then invite you to our next Match Box Rendezvous. Also check our blog for any upcoming events.
NOTE: When meeting us please ensure you have ample time for us to photograph your hands with your box and record your voice (see 4 and 5 below).
PHONE: 0410 331 600 / +61 410 331 600
MELBOURNE, SHANGHAI, DENILIQUIN, MOSMAN, VENICE, LONDON, BERLIN, EDINBURGH, DUBAI, ADELAIDE, CANNES, AMSTERDAM, PARIS, LANE COVE, BRISBANE, NEW YORK & SAN FRANCISCO
For those that didn’t have the chance to deliver their matchboxes, please keep them in a safe place until we return to your region.
When delivering your matchbox we will photograph you and your matchbox (minimum photography will include a photograph of you with your hands - see above image examples of Lane Cove collaborators). Please allow ample time to drop your matchbox off, as there maybe others waiting to be photographed too.
5. Voice Recording
When you deliver your matchbox we would greatly appreciate it if we could record your voice. This will allow those with no vision (eg the blind) to “see your box” and enable others to gain a further insight into your impression of your city. The recording will include the title of your box, a description of what you have put inside it and why. (There is no minimal time limit - but we prefer your statement to be 30 seconds to 1min30seconds long).
Once delivered, your work becomes a permanent contribution to our portrait series as part of People Make Places. Please note by including your work in our project, we are going to share it with the world. Therefore you assign copyright of same onto us (Leanne & Naomi Shedlezki aka Match Box Projects), which automatically permits us to exhibit, photograph, video, publish and present your work in public/private exhibitions, in press, in print, in video/multimedia works/ catalogues, on our website/blog etc.
7. bARTer/ Exchange Gift
Please keep the cover of the box in a safe place. On completion of our Places Series we will contact you to present you with a souvenir to go inside your original cover - as an exchange/bARTer.
8. If you have any questions please contact us
phone 0410 331 600 / +61 410 331 600
If you have friends/family that would like to take part in our project, please let them know they are welcome to pick up a box when you deliver yours.
We are looking forward to receiving your matchbox and seeing you soon.
Leanne Shedlezki and Naomi Shedlezki